Tuesday, January 22nd, 2008


Choose Your Language Of Preference Below

French Version German Version Russian Version Spanish Version

Portuguese Version Chinese Version Arabic Version

KUMASI, Ghana (AFP) — Zambia scored a comfortable 3-0 win over a spirited Sudan in a Group C battle of the outsiders in the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations here at the Baba Yara Stadium on Tuesday.

The Chipolopolo, as the Zambian team are known, took an early lead through a James Chamanga lob after just two minutes and added a second five minutes after the interval through the outstanding Jacob Mulenga.

Felix Katongo further punished poor defending by Sudan when he tapped home the third goal in the 59th minute after goalkeeper Abdalla Elmuez failed to hold on to a shot by Rainford Kalaba.

z.jpeg

Zambia coach Patrick Phiri said: “It was important that we won this match but I noticed some few lapses in our defence and this we must work on before our next game against Cameroon.”

“Zambia had a good game today,” admitted Sudan coach Mohamed Abdallah. “They took their chances well. Probably if we had done same earlier in the game, we would be talking a different thing now.”

“We like to play under pressure and so expect us to play a lot better in our next game.”

A downcast Sudan striker Faisat Agab added: “We lost this game but must now look forward to our next two games and see what we can make of them.”

Zambia sit atop Group C after the 4-2 win posted by Egypt over four-time champions Cameroon earlier in the day.

After going in front, the south Africans, who were without their leading scorer Christopher Katongo through suspension, pressed on as in-form Chamanga combined well with Felix Katongo in the ninth minute only for Katongo’s shot from on top of the box to scream across the face of goal.

Badr Eldin’s scorching effort from 30 yards nearly got Sudan an equaliser after 12 minutes but it came off the woodwork with goalkeeper Kennedy Mweene well beaten.

The quick inter-change of passes and movement by the fleet-footed Zambian forwards spearheaded by the exciting Mulenga often got the Sudan back four into trouble but big defender Ritshard Jastein proved a steadying influence for this team back in the Nations Cup after a 32-year absence.

As time wore on Sudan found their bearing and began to take control of the midfield as they strung passes among themselves with great understanding. They would even have drawn level on 29 minutes but Gibril Alaedin ballooned his shot into the stands when it would have been much easier to score.

Zambia looked dangerous when they counter-attacked while the Nile Crocodiles enjoyed more of the ball but this was mostly in their own half of the pitch and so did not really trouble their opponents.

Sudanese target man Faisat Agab’s bouncing header on 48 minutes produced a finger-tip save from Mweene but Katongo responded for Zambia almost immediately as Elmuez was forced to stretch his giant frame before he could scramble the ball for a corner.

Mulenga headed home from the resultant corner for Zambia’s second goal of the night before Katongo added a third with a cool tap-in.

Mweene was forced to produce an unusual punch-out of Jasteine’s 66th minute powerful freekick as Sudan continued to mount pressure for a consolation goal but again and again they did not have the ammunition to get on the score board.

Mulenga was denied a second goal by Elmuez who dived full length to parry for a corner the lively Zambian striker’s goal-bound header in the 84th minute.

Copyright © 2008 AFP. All rights reserved

Choose Your Language Of Preference Below

French Version German Version Russian Version Spanish Version

Portuguese Version Chinese Version Arabic Version

By Shapi Shacinda

LUSAKA, Jan 22 (Reuters) – Zambia’s copper producers trimmed daily output following a second nationwide power failure within 48-hours and they planned to import 210 megawatts of power from the Democratic Republic Congo (DRC), officials said on Tuesday.

Neighbouring Zimbabwe also saw its second nationwide power blackout in two days, paralysing industry and dealing a further blow to its ailing economy.

A senior industry official said Zambia’s state power utility Zesco was rationing electricity supplies to mines due to a “systems failure.”

The power disruptions plunged the whole of Zambia into darkness for the second time on Monday night, forcing the vast copper and cobalt mines to suspend production.

“The mines are not producing normally because we are only able to supply them with power to keep emergency operations as Zesco has limited power supply,” said Hanson Sindowe, the chairman of power distributor, Copperbelt Energy Company (CEC).

CEC purchases power from Zesco for distribution to all the mines in Zambia.

“Zesco can only give us up to 400 megawatts, while total demand for power at current production levels is 530 megawatts. We are now in the process of arranging imports from the Congo, which will be between 200 megawatts and 210 megawatts,” Sindowe told Reuters.

There was uncertainty as to when normal power supplies would resume because Zesco had not identified the cause of the blackouts, which started on Saturday night. Sindowe said mining operations had not yet returned to normal.

OPERATIONS STOPPED

Industry officials said they had stopped operations at some mines in the mineral-rich southern Africa country to avoid endangering lives of miners and damaging equipment.

“We could not send the night shift underground because there is no point endangering the lives of people. The biggest danger is the frequency of the power failures and we are not sure when this will be resolved,” said Passmore Hamukoma at Zambia’s second largest mining unit, Mopani Copper Mines (MCM).

A nation-wide power blackout over the weekend hit copper and cobalt output in Zambia and briefly trapped workers underground.

Mines in Zimbabwe also continued to suffer huge losses due to stalled production on Tuesday and the electricity outtage there forced factories to a halt, while there was no trade on the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange.

The power cuts worsened already erratic water supplies that have assailed the country for months, with large parts of the main cities of Harare and Bulawayo as well as other urban centres going without water on Tuesday.

Officials at state power utility ZESA were not immediately available for comment, but state media quoted a company executive as saying the blackout resulted from a recurring systems failure at its Kariba hydro electrical plant on the border with Zambia.

Power outages have also caused partial flooding at mines in the two countries as water could not be pumped out.

Derek Webbstock, the chief executive of Luanshya Copper Mines, which operates Baluba copper mine and Chambishi Metals Plc, Zambia’s leading cobalt producer, said it had suffered losses totalling $5 million after the two power failures.

He said hoisting of copper from underground and the transportation of ores had been disrupted.

Webbstock said operations at LCM had not returned to full capacity on Tuesday because of damage to equipment despite power being restored and the firm was realigning its operations.

“This is very serious because we are losing income and this will affect economic growth. It will also impact on the workers and the community too and currently there is no proper information how long this might continue,” Webbstock added. (Additional reporting by Nelson Banya in Harare; Editing by Veronica Brown)

Choose Your Language Of Preference Below

French Version German Version Russian Version Spanish Version

Portuguese Version Chinese Version Arabic Version

LUSAKA, Jan 22 (Reuters) – Zambian authorities said on Tuesday they had lifted a ban on a new project to construct a key leach plant for copper processing which was suspended a fortnight ago after it failed to meet environmental standards.

The Environmental Council of Zambia (ECZ) blocked a leach plant project at Mopani Copper Mines (MCM) a fortnight ago, after a spillage of pregnant liquor solution (PLS), which officials say contaminated drinking water pumped to residents.

The ECZ said in a statement that Mopani had elevated underground walls in the settler tanks and had also taken several other measures to avoid spillage.

The spillage contaminated drinking water and caused diarrhoea and dizziness among some residents of Mufulira town, 450 km (281 miles) north of Lusaka.

“The ECZ is now satisfied that the measures that have been put in place are adequate to prevent the recurrence of the events that led to the suspension of the Stage II Insitu Leach Operations,” the statement said.

Mopani chief services officer Passmore Hamukoma told Reuters that the project was near completion.

“The ECZ has therefore lifted the suspension on the operations of Stage II Insitu Leach with immediate effect,” the statement added.

Government officials in the mineral-rich Copper Belt province said Mopani had been negligent and had caused the water contamination.

Mopani, a joint venture of Swiss firm Glencore International AG [GLEN.UL] and Canada’s First Quantum Minerals (FM.TO: Quote, Profile, Research), is one of several copper and cobalt mines carrying out infrastructure expansions and upgrades to boost copper production, which is Zambia’s economic lifeblood.

Copper mining is Zambia’s economic mainstay and the vast copper mines are a major employer in this southern African country of 12 million people. (Reporting by Shapi Shacinda, Editing by Peter Blackburn)

Choose Your Language Of Preference Below

French Version German Version Russian Version Spanish Version

Portuguese Version Chinese Version Arabic Version

There are several reasons we are calling for an end to Africa’s Longest Presidential Trial Now A Soap Opera … but we will try and excogitate on only a few for the time being. 

Going by our track record, every level-headed Zambian knows that we at the Zambian Chronicle don’t support any kind of nonsense, corrupt and otherwise that is a direct derivative of the former president’s behavior. 

Having said the above, we believe that every sane one of us will use intellectual honesty as a guiding principle as we deliberate on the following important matter.

We also understand that the matter is currently in the courts of law, therefore our deductive and inductive analyses will be limited to matters that may not be prejudicial in nature. 

As our video clip in Africa’s Longest Presidential Trial Now A Soap Opera … reveals, the prosecutor seems to be taunting evidence of customized shoes and telling the world that they are very expensive. 

Well, if those FTJ shoes are really expensive in the eyes of the prosecutor, then he has not seen anything really expensive yet. Our estimates are that those shoes probably cost close to $200.00 each and what is that for head of state.

We would like to believe that the Pope wears bullet-proof shoes paid for by the Vatican … image the cost!!

We are made to believe that government coffers were used to purchase small boat(s), if those boats on the video are auctioned at eBay, I guarantee you they wouldn’t even fetch a couple of thousand dollars … try it if you want! 

Tom Perkins’s yacht for example is estimated at $150,000,000 … and yes the zeroes are right; millions of dollars and you bring a simple boat that is worth nothing as an exhibit for a former head of state.

Watch Real Yachts In Action Above Not Simple Boats As Exhibits

Even the Mercedes Benz ML 350 shown does not cost over $50,000.00 brand new while the other vehicles in the clip can be imported from Dubai with a couple of thousands of dollars each.  

Give us a break, why is it that all the real estate in Europe since been recovered does not appear in the exhibits? Is it because those where in the Como part of the villas as opposed to the Colleyville side of human excellence and style? 

What we see in this is nothing but the lowest level of witch hunting and an explicit desire to exaggerate matters based on a high level of poverty. Poverty that has no understanding of real wealth and tritely no essence of comparison on a global scale. 

We have become a laughing stock of others who understand true wealth, the world shakes its head when it sees those small boats as exhibits and all perpetrators of this trial are seen as individuals that are self-interested in the crux of the matter. 

As long as the trial continues, the perpetrators will continue to draw a salary plundering the merger resources the Zambian Enterprise has. A question then arises as to who the true plunderers are and or might become.

We would like to believe that there are several avenues of entertainment value available to the general populace and this soap opera  that has lasted over seven years now is certainly not one of them.  

Those who would like to continue this saga so they can keeping feeding on it or those who actually are purported to have been stolen from the enterprise to purchase thousand dollars boats, custom make shoes and import used cars … 

We have said it before and we will say it again. If the man is guilty, please do us all a favor and lock him up as of yesterday. And if the man is not, end this nonsense … it certainly does not take seven years to figure that out unless of course somebody has nothing else to do should this be brought to an end. 

We appeal to all the powers that be to close this chapter for the Zambian Enterprise once and for all and don’t any body tell us it can’t be done in the first half of this year because it can. All it requires is a classy-daddy-3.gifphone call from somebody and or pressure from within, let alone without … 

It is costing us more perpetrating this trial not only in treasure and dignity but also in terms of the opportunity cost; and that’s this week’s memo from us at the Zambian Chronicle … thanks a trillion.

Brainwave R Mumba, Sr.

CEO & President – Zambian Chronicle

Copyrights © 2008 Zambian Chronicle. All rights reserved. Zambian Chronicle content may not be stored except for personal, non-commercial use. Republication and redissemination of Zambian Chronicle content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Zambian Chronicle. Zambian Chronicle shall not be liable for any errors, omissions, interruptions or delays in connection with the Zambian Chronicle content or from any damages arising therefrom.

Zambian Chronicle is a wholly owned subsidiary of Microplus Holdings International, Inc.

Copyrights © 2008 Microplus Holdings Int., Inc.