We have the Managing Editor position open at Zambian Chronicle and interested individuals are encouraged to apply.
Reporting to the Chief Business Strategist, the Managing Editor performs a variety of managerial and editorial tasks. The Managing Editor ensures that editorial quality meets preset standards and guidelines and strategies, and that work is done in a timely, efficient manner.
Overall management of editorial aspects of daily news feeds, brochures and guides for Zambian Chronicle, including, but not limited to the following:
1. Creates, reviews, and changes editorial policies and style guidelines.
2. Coordinates article and assignment selection with Chief Business Strategist for publications; ensures content is tracked appropriately at all stages of production.
3. Works with Chief Business Strategist to develop assignment directives and guidelines and ensures they are followed through by the writers throughout the writing process.
4. Ensures that all content is edited, proofread and factchecked.
5. Reviews manuscripts edited by copy editors to ensure accuracy and consistency with style guidelines. Gives feedback to editorial team.
6. Ensures queries from authors regarding status, editorial style etc are promptly answered.
7. Manages news gathering and authoring process to create compelling daily content
8. Coordinates with Project Managers and Art Directors to track and prioritize tasks and ensures a smooth flow of communication between the editorial staff and all other teams.
9. Manages peer-review of technical writing between subject matter experts and writers.
10. Ensures that editorial processes are followed through on every project
11. Proactively audits workflows and process to assess areas for improvement and/or increased efficiency.
12. Continually manages and builds team of freelance editorial talent.
13. Stays current with photo, video and pro audio industry developments
14. Assists with writing assignments as needed
• Minimum 3 years experience as Editor
• 8 plus years experience in writing and editing
• Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, or related field
• Manuscript editing experience
• Technical writing experience
• Knowledge of publishing trends, technologies and workflows
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Strong organization skills to keep track of all assignments and directives
• MA in English, journalism, or related field
• Knowledge of photography, video and pro audio
• Familiarity with peer-review process
Preferred candidate should be based in Zambia. If you meet our qualification criteria, please send your resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org … thanks a trillion.